Selling a house in a tough housing market like today can be tough but there it can be done. It really just depends on the tactics and strategies used. For those that are thinking of retiring or perhaps relocating or for a number of other reasons are thinking about selling their homes, it is very important to know how to sell a house.
Tips on How to Sell a House
Below are some very important tips on how to sell a house that can be employed by people who want to sell their homes. Now, it is good to keep in mind that some tips are more suited to some scenarios than others so it might be a good idea to read through them and find out which tips apply to a person’s situation.
- Sell a house during winter. Now this might seem like an odd piece of advice, but really, it works especially if the house is located in a bad neighborhood. This way, potential buyers can blame the dismal air on the weather and they won’t have to see the neighbors. It’s tricky but someone has to do it.
- Get a fresh coat of paint. Forget about fancy decorating changes. A can of paint for 41 can do more to make your house desirable than any drastic interior design changes.
- Improve the lighting. New lighting can make potential buyers see your home in the best light. Change all lighting fixtures that are 15 years or older. Just leave the vintage and antique since those are impressive.
- De-clutter. For those who are retiring, relocating, or perhaps going through divorce, this is a really handy advice. Get rid of mementos, memorabilia, and other clutter to make the home look more presentable.
- Give the bathroom a face-lift. There is no need to do a total renovation because a fresh coat of paint or new tiles can do wonders. Try places like Home Depot for cheap but cute lighting and tiles.
- Take down curtains. Remove all dated window treatments and old curtains to let more light in. this makes everything look cheerier and also makes the rooms look bigger which will definitely appeal to home buyers.
- Look into short sales. This is ideal for people who are in pre foreclosure and want to sell their homes before they are foreclosed on. It is a good and quick way to sell a home.
- Change realtors. Sometimes, a home will not sell for months or even years if it is being handled by a bad realtor. If the realtor or real estate agent handling the sales of the homes does not make the homes a priority, it might be time for home sellers to look for a new one.
- Sell house at an auction. For sellers with houses that have been on the market for months and months, an auction might be a good idea to consider. Just look for a good auction house and they will handle the marketing and the terms and conditions for the sellers.
- Make sure the price is right. Sellers will do well to find out how much the home is worth and shaving off 15% to 20% off. Buyers will come running even in the worst housing market.